This was going to be a post about the top sustainable inventions in sustainable denim and fashion to look out for in 2020, but that can wait!
It's been heart breaking for me seeing all the horrifying images from Australia and although this post might have nothing to do with denim, I feel it's important for the denim and fashion community to be aware about what they can do to help.
As I sit at my desk, looking at the blue sky, I can't help but feel guilty. I know this is a huge privilege. A privilege to have a roof over my head and food to eat, while thousands of people have had their homes burned to the ground fleeing for safety.
I am fortunate enough to be in this position and this is the main reason I will be personally donating to the NSW Rural Fire Service, but also donating 100% of the profits from the sales of the Tailored Vintage jeans I sell on my site.
If you are in a position where you are willing and able to help, here are some of the organizations I am donating to:
NSW Rural Fire Service - anything helps, as these hard working fire fighters are volunteering with no rest day or night
WIRES - NSW Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) rescues and cares for animals and is seeking donations for volunteer carers and recuers that are “indundated” with them amid the bushfires
Australian Red Cross - The Red Cross supports a variety of efforts such as supporting people at evacuation centres and providing emergency assistance like cash grants to people who have lost their homes
What You Can Do in 2020:
The occurrence of natural disasters might not have increased, but they are intensifying and there are many small steps you can take to reduce your environmental impact. Here are my eco-goals for 2020 and I hope you will attempt some or all of these yourself!
- Get creative with my closet and donate what I absolutely can't use or rework
- Look for pieces I need secondhand / vintage
- If I feel I truly need something, buy from a conscious brand and make sure it is a piece I see wearing 10 years from now (wearing something 50 times reduces emissions by 400% per item, per year)
- Donate to Atmosfair for every flight I take - work tends to take me all over the world and is something I can't avoid
- Start more conversations around the topic of sustainability and how I've found my groove through sustainable fashion - talking about it will take you one step closer to making a change
- Say no to single use items - not just plastic - to get out of the habit of convenience
- Cutting back my meat intake even more (1-2x per week)
- Buy as many items without packaging - striving for a zero waste home
- Give (either time, value or money) where I can to help and advocate for what I believe in - being privileged in a world that seems so unfair sometimes, I want to serve as many as I can, while I am able
- Live the LESS IS MORE mantra
I am far from perfect, but my goal is to add value to people's lives through the theme of fashion and denim, AND live a conscious life of my own. I hope to reach more people this year, creating a larger impact and it would mean the world to me if you could share my mission and grow this community!
There are so many good things happening in the world right now, but we tend to only see the bad. We're moving towards a sustainable future in the denim and fashion industry, and it is so exciting to see more and more consumers vote with their dollars and support the brands doing good.
Keep it up and remember, just do what you can. Any step is a step in the right direction! If you ever need anyone to talk to or have any questions about what you can do, do not hesitate to message me <3
That's my rant for today people, until next time! Stay diligent friends.